Dear Parents and Guardians, we have another VERY busy Month ahead of us, so again, please be sure to check the School’s Facebook Page, Website or Class Dojo regularly to ensure that you are up date and aware of any changes that might happen. A heads up, the School/Class Pictures will be scheduled sometime this month, but the details still need to be confirmed, once they are we will send out a note to inform caregivers of the date.
Days to Add to your Calendar:
· Monday June 3rd- The school will be having an Indian Taco Hot Lunch Day on Monday June 3rd. We are holding this lunch as another Fundraiser for Alex’s Outgoing Kootenay Warrior Contest.
· Tuesday June 4th- The Grade 4s, 5s & 6s will be participating in the District Track Meet in Cranbrook on Tuesday June 4th (WEATHER PERMITTING). Students are to be dropped off at the College of the Rockies Track no later than 8:30am. We are asking that Parents of students that require transportation, contact Eryn Geddes prior to the event so that she can arrange rides. Participating students that are on Reserve will be picked up from the school at the regular morning drop off time. For the afternoon, we are asking that parents pick up their students from the COTR Track at the end of their child’s last event or by 3:00pm.
· Wednesday June 5th – The Grade 5/6 class will be participating in a trip to the Kootenay Rafting Company. Please ensure that students are properly dressed and bring No Heat lunches.
· Wednesday June 5th- Grades Kindergarten to 2 (sorry no K4s) will be exploring Elizabeth Lake and playing Mini Golf. Please ensure that students wear clothing appropriate for the outdoors and weather. No Heat lunches are also required. Other arrangements will need to be made for K4s.
· Thursday June 6th- There will be a Kindergarten Open House for families with Kindergartens coming to the school in the fall. Kindergartens come to the school for 8:45am and K4s can come by at 12:45pm.
· Thursday June 6th -7th- Grades 3 to 5 will be participating in an Overnight Camping Trip put on by TECK and the Ktunaxa Nation Council at Grave Lake near Sparwood. The students will be leaving before noon and coming back by the first bus run on Friday.
· Friday June 7th – Grade 6 Transition Day. The Grades 6s are to go directly to Laurie School by 8:20am.
· Monday June 10th-Tuesday June 11th- “We Bike” sessions 1:00pm-2:30pm. Students learn about bike riding and bike safety. Students will need bikes and helmets. Specific information will be sent out closer to the date.
· Tuesday June 11th- Backup Track Meet date (only if the original date didn’t work out due to weather).
· Wednesday June 12th- Grades K4 to 2 will be going to the Kimberley Water Park. K4s will need to be at the school in the morning in time for the bus to leave @ 9:15am. Students will need their Swimwear, towels, sunscreen, hats, weather appropriate clothing and no heat lunches.
· Wednesday June 12th - The Grade 5/6 class will be participating in a trip to the Kootenay Rafting Company. Please ensure that students are properly dressed and bring No Heat lunches.
· Friday June 14th- there will be NO SCHOOL due to a Pro D Day. Summer Program Sign-up Deadline.
· Monday June 17th to Friday June 21st – The Grade 3/4 class will be going on a week-long Camping trip to Kikomun Provincial Park. More information will be sent home prior to the event.
· Tuesday June 18th- Grades 5/6 will be going to the Kimberley Nature Park with Wildsight. Please ensure that students are properly prepared to be outdoors for the day.
· Wednesday June 19th – The Grade 5/6 class will be going on a Bike Trip on the Rails to Trails route. More information will be sent home prior to the event.
· Thursday June 20th- Grades K4 to 2 will be going to the Cranbrook Rotary Water Park. K4s will need to be at the school in the morning in time for the bus to leave @ 9:15am. Students will need their Swimwear, towels, sunscreen, hats, weather appropriate clothing and no heat lunches.
· Friday June 21st – Grades K-6 Surveyors Lake Day Trip. Other arrangements for K4s will need to be made if they do not go to the Daycare. In the Morning: NON-bus students will need to arrive at the school no later than 7:50am to catch the bus with staff. Bus students will be picked up at their regular stops and times in the morning. The bus will bring the 1st run (Reserve) students into town for the town route and leave to Surveyors from the last pick-up place. In the Afternoon: Town bus route students will arrive at their regular scheduled time and stops. Reserve bus students will be delayed, as we are dropping off the town students first on our way back down to the Reserve. Parents can expect the reserve bus to drop off their children between 4:15pm – 4:30pm.
· Tuesday June 25th- The Grade 5/6 class will be participating in a trip to the Kootenay Rafting Company. Please ensure that students are properly dressed and bring No Heat lunches.
· Wednesday June 26th- Grades K to 2 (sorry no K4s) will be going to Jim Smith Lake all day. Students will need their Swimwear, towels, sunscreen, hats, weather appropriate clothing and no heat lunches. Other arrangements will need to be made for K4s.
· Thursday June 27th- the LAST DAY of School will be a HALF DAY. Tri 3 Report Cards go Home. The first bus will be leaving the school at noon to do the reserve run and then the 2nd bus run to town will be leaving around 12:25pm. The ʔaq̓am Awards Day for students will be scheduled for Thursday June 27th, as well. Students and their families are welcome to attend the Community Awards Day Celebration from 12:00pm - 2:00pm in the Gymnasium after school lets out for the year.
Please let the school know if your student will be staying off the bus to participate. Students must be accompanied by an adult after 12:00pm.
**School starts up again after the Summer Break on Tuesday September 3rd for the 2019/2020 School Year! It will be a HALF DAY. The K4 Program will begin on Monday September 16th. Bus Transportation arrangements will need to be made prior to the first day of school, parents will need to contact Mr. Mike during the week of August 26th- August 30th at 250-919-0150.** Taxa.
Ktunaxa Word/Phrase of the Month:
ʔaqsuk̓utnamu = Summer
There are Important forms going Home Today with students! Please be on the look out in your child's backpack.
We send our deepest condolences to family, friends, and community members who have been impacted by the recent loss in our community. Feelings experienced following the loss of someone are unique to everyone. People may experience feelings of overwhelming sadness, anger, frustration, isolation, depression, confusion or guilt.
Handling such feelings can be hard, so it’s really important to reach out to one another during this difficult time. If your child reaches out to you, please consider having a genuine conversation that is caring, accepting, and empathic.
At ʔaq̓amnik School we do have access to emotional and grief counselling. If a student expresses feelings of grief, and requests help, we will connect them with the counsellor.
You can choose to opt out of these services, by signing the Opt Out statement.
It is our hope to be able to provide caring support to those who need it during this time.
For immediate support please text “Home” to 686868 (this number works on internet, texting apps etc. and is available 24/7) Or call toll free at 1-800-784-2433.
For more Counselling & Crisis support resources, please visit:
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our School has been invited to attend a performance at the Kootenay Christian Academy on Wednesday April 10th. The classes will be gone from 12:35pm – 2:45pm and as such, other arrangements will need to be made for K4s if they do not go to the Daycare.
We apologize for any inconveniences that this may cause. The K4 program will continue as normal on Thursday April 11th.
Thank you. Taxa.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Happy Spring everyone! We hope that you and your families had a great Spring Break and are all refreshed and ready to get back to School. April is going to see the start of lunch hour Running Club for Grades 3 to 6 on Mondays and Fridays starting Monday April 8th). The Kindergartens, Grade 1s & 2s will be participating in events every Wednesday this month, so their teachers are asking that students are prepared by wearing weather appropriate clothing and bring no heat lunches. Fieldtrip details will be released by their teachers closer to the dates.
Days to Add to your Calendar:
· Wednesday April 3rd- Speech and Language Pathologist visit. If your child is receiving Speech and Language services, please ensure that they are here on this day (priority Grades 1 & 2). Ks, 1s and 2s will be OUTSIDE in the morning. Weather appropriate clothing is needed.
· Monday April 8th- Grades 3 to 6 start Lunch Hour Running Club on Mondays and Fridays, beginning April 8th (for those students in Grades 3-6 who are interested). The purpose is to prepare students for the Highland’s Run (Grades 4+), Kootenay Fun 5 Race (Grades 3+) and upcoming District Track Meet (Grades 4+).
· Wednesday April 10th- Grade 6s (only grade 6s) will be going to the Key City Theater for a Middle School Transition Presentation from 9:30am-10:30am. Ks, 1s and 2s will be on a field trip in the morning. Details to be released closer to the date.
· Friday April 12th- There will be NO SCHOOL due to a Pro D Day (the teaching staff will be attending the annual FNSA Conference in Vancouver).
· Monday April 15th- Grades 3 to 6 Lunch Hour Running Club.
· Wednesday April 17th- Ks, 1s and 2s will be on a field trip in the morning. Details to be released closer to the date. Tentative date for Grade 5/6 field trip.
· Friday April 19th – There will be NO SCHOOL due to the Good Friday Stat.
· Monday April 22nd – There will be NO SCHOOL due to Easter Monday (school proceeds as normal on Tuesday April 23rd).
· Wednesday April 24th- Grade 5/ 6 will be going to the Kimberley Nature Park from 9:15am – 2:00pm (please ensure that students have a NO Heat lunch and appropriate clothing to be outdoors). Ks, 1s and 2s will be on a field trip in the morning. Details to be released closer to the date.
· Friday April 26th – Grades 3 to 6 Lunch Hour Running Club.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
March is going to be a short month due to the Spring Break, but we have some fun events planned this month. The Grade 3/4s will be gone for most of the last week of school in March due to a camping trip at Blue Lake Camp. We ask that parents ensure that students are properly prepared to participate with warm clothing, snow gear and warm bedding (an information sheet and permission form were sent by their teacher already). Swimming Lessons will continue every Tuesday morning for the Ks to 2s and every Thursday morning for the 3s to 6s (with the exception of the Blue Lake week for the grade 3/4s). We ask that parents ensure that students are at the school on time for the swim days because the bus will leave right after breakfast. If your student is late, they will be left behind.
Days to Add to your Calendar:
· Tuesday March 5th- Grades K to 2 have Swimming Lessons at the Kimberley Pool from 9:00am- 11:45am. / Grades 4, 5 & 6 Basketball Game @ Home Vs. Highlands (last game) from 3:15pm-4:15pm (please ensure that parents/guardians pick up players after the game @ the school gym).
· Wednesday March 6th- Grades 5/6 will be going to Laurie and Parkland for a Middle School transition visit. / The Grades K to 2 will be OUTDOORS for Winter Wonder. Dress Warm.
· Thursday March 7th- Grades 3 to 6 have Swimming Lessons at the Kimberley Pool from 9:00am- 11:45am.
· Sunday March 10th- Daylight Savings Time takes effect. Turn Clocks Forward and Hour.
· Tuesday March 12th - Grades K to 2 have Swimming Lessons at the Kimberley Pool from 9:00am- 11:45am. / The Grade 3/4 Class (and some Gr. 5/6s) will be leaving for Blue Lake Camp around 9:30am. Please reference handout and permission forms already sent home for details.
· Wednesday March 13th- Grade 5/ 6 have Cross Country Skiing at the Kimberley Nordic Centre.
· Thursday March 14th – Grade 5/ 6 have Swimming Lessons at the Kimberley Pool from 9:00am- 11:45am.
· Friday March 15th- The Grade 3/4 Class will be coming back from Blue Lake Camp before the bus run around 2:30pm.
· Monday March 18th to Friday March 29th- No school due to the Spring Break. School starts back up on Monday April 1st.
Check out what our Amazing Grade 5s and 6s did!
Click on the Link below.