Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are excited to welcome all our New and Returning Students to the 2019/2020 school year! There are a few noted changes to start this year off with:
· First, there are No Longer Microwaves in the classes (please see Note in package).
· Second, the After-School Program will be starting up on Monday September 9th. Families are welcome to contact the school if they are interested in this Service (note: there will be a cost associated with this service).
We are sending home “Student Information Verification” Sheets for you to take a look at. These sheets are IMPORTANT, as this is the information that we put into the BC School Database and use in the event of an Emergency. So please ensure that your child’s information, as well as your contact information, is up to date. If you see any information on the sheet that is incorrect, please write in the correct info. Once you have reviewed and filled them out please RETURN THEM TO THE SCHOOL by Friday September 6th. A Pizza Lunch will take place on Monday September 9th for those students that have brought back their Verification Sheets on time.
While school supplies are provided by the school, students are required to have a set of Non-marking INDOOR Shoes and a set of Outdoor Shoes (students should also have a backpack, water bottle and lunch bag). Please ensure that your child has them as soon as possible. In the event of a fire drill or emergency, students need to be wearing footwear during class to make a quick transition outside.
The Bus Driver, Mike, would like to remind Parents to Text or Call him at: 250-919-0150 to let him know if your child WON’T be taking the bus in the MORNING. He would also like to remind parents to Call the School before 2:30pm if your child will be getting off at a different stop in the afternoon or WON’T be taking the bus. We are NOT permitted to let students off at different stops if we have not received written or verbal permission from Parents/Guardians. The Final Draft of the Bus Schedule will go out next week, once the K4s start.
We are asking that students PLEASE keep toys/electronics at HOME!
Some students in Grades 4, 5 & 6 will be participating in the District Paarlauf Event at TM Roberts Elementary School, but the Date is still to be finalized. We will be transporting participating students TO the event, but we are asking that Parents please make arrangements to pick up their child at TM Roberts after Paarlauf (around 4-4:30pm). Please ensure that permission forms for participating students are filled out and returned to the school (Permission forms will be sent home soon). Parents are welcome to attend the event and cheer on our students!
Finally, Students are encouraged to participate in Orange T-shirt Day on Monday September 30th to show recognition for the residential school survivors.
If you have any questions about upcoming events, the after school program or concerns about the transition back into school, you can contact us by:
· Phone: 250-489-5183,
· School Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/AqamnikSchool/
· School Website: www.aqamnikschool.com
· Your student’s Class Dojo account.
Days to Add to your Calendar:
· Friday September 6th- Student Verification Sheets Due.
· Monday September 9th – Pizza Lunch for students that have returned Verification Sheets.
· Wednesday September 11th – 1st Wild Wednesday for Grades 5/6 (reoccurs every Wed.)
· Monday September 16th – K4s start afternoon classes.
· Thursday September 19th- District Paarlauf at TM Roberts Elementary.
· Friday September 20th – 1st Pro –D Day of the school year.
· Wednesday September 25th – Health Screening Day (all students). Grade 5/6- Wild Wed.
· Monday September 30th - Orange T-shirt Day in recognition of Residential School Survivors.
Ktunaxa Word/Phrase: Kaʔas k̓aqaqa k̓ituq̓ⱡiⱡqakȼamnamki? (How was School?)
Staff List 2019/2020:
K4/K – Ms. Starla Johnson; Grade 1/2- Ms. Brett Rousselle; Grade 3/4 – Mr. Cliff Dorion; Grade 5/6- Mrs. Rebecca Ryan; Ktunaxa Language Teacher- Juanita Eugene; EA- Nakita Sebastian; EA- Rebecca Lewis; EA- Darelyn Campbell; EA- Jamie Derkach; EA- Matt Quick; Student Services- Tod Lunan; Principal- Eryn Geddes; Receptionist- Marisa Phillips; Bus Driver- Mr. Mike Briggs; Bus Supervision- Harvey Thomas ; Recreation and Cultural Liaison- Saige Francis